My music video

My website

My website
Click Here to go to my website.

Monday, September 16, 2019

6. My chosen track

I have decided to research the artist and song that I have chosen for the task, as it will give me a greater idea as to what I want to do with the song during production, particularly the narrative; I must interpret the song and researching it will provide me with some necessary inspiration.

Initially I selected a series of tracks, which I would then reduce down to one:

Woozy - Kwassa


Lightweight - Thomston


Wave - Justin Timberlake


Pretty And Young - Austin Mahone

In the end, I decided to choose Woozy by Kwassa, partially because of the lyrics; I felt as if I would be able to work with them very well, with points I knew I could amplify and illustrate.  In contrast, some of the other songs, despite sounding very good, were difficult for forming a substantial narrative that could go around this (or at least one that was practical to produce with the time I had available to do so).


  • Kwassa (Scott Verrill), formerly known by the stage name KYKO, is a pop artist signed to Warner Records UK.
  • He has been involved in the music scene for a long time, being a part of the youngest band to play at Glastonbury while he was still as school.
  • Kwassa's inspirations come from artists such as Taylor Swift, Paul Simon and Bon Iver.
  • His first track, 'Animals' is still accessible on Soundcloud to this day.
  • He still has a high amount of influence over the production process of his music, despite the signing.  He is highly involved when it comes to creating beats and melodies for his own music.
Woozy is a song based on a "salsa-ish" guitar loop as described by Kwassa himself; this was initially a joke but decided to turn it into an actual song.  This is very different to the rest of his music, so it was the chance to put out something fun, hence it does not need to be taken very seriously. 

With the song now chosen, I decided it would be appropriate to perform a lyrical analysis of the song, picking out what I would choose to utilise for illustration, amplification and contradiction.  Also this would be used to understand what the song was about from a thematic perspective:


Woozy - Kwassa (Performance)

My interpretation of the song versus Kwassa's in this additional performance video is quite different, in the way that his approach is more passionate and endearing, as it is a personal message.  This is differing to what I was intending to do, even when it comes to the performance, as my artist will be in fact narrating the story from what seems to be disconnected from the narrative element.  

From researching my chosen track, I have learnt what approach I will be taking with the video and how there can be a variety of interpretations from the same set of lyrics.  After this, I will be visualising these in the pre-production process, through a storyboard, so I understand how this will look further into the project.

No comments:

Post a Comment