My music video

My website

My website
Click Here to go to my website.

Monday, September 16, 2019

7. My pop artist or band

In order to create a credible artist persona for a pop musician, it is essential that I perform research looking at what other pop artists stand for and represent.  It is with this that I can construct my own, which will be in line with the overall image of the pop genre.


One of the influences, when it comes to representations, is Pharrell Williams; the artist puts out an image of optimism within their music, website and persona.  Pharrell is also highly creative beyond only his music, being a strong believer in the arts and other creative outlets such as film,  fashion and design.  This inspires me to develop a substantial artist persona that has value beyond the video, forming somewhat of a hegemony (as theorised by Dyer) for those within the fandom to understand and be excited by.  

Another influence on the creation of my artist persona has been will.i.am.  In terms of style, he has a similar aesthetic to the one that I am intending to create, often wearing accessories like hats and glasses.  He also wears hoodies and various streetwear items regularly, which also fits into the aesthetic.  On the other hand, the artist is represented as one that modern and in touch with the technological age, evidenced through the brand deal he has with 'BUTTONS', a wireless earphone brand.  This is also connoted through his overall branding being based around technology and 'the future'; he consistently promotes his audience and many others to begin coding and to stay up to date with the advancements of today.  Although I may not be able to formulate values for my own artist that are this extensive, I do still wish to form an artist persona around positive values that can be beneficial for the target audience.

I made a moodboard based on the representations and styles of pop artists that I researched in order to synthesize an aesthetic for my own artist persona:


























The majority of my stylistic influences are based around casual, urban styles that still incorporate some of the fundamental aesthetics of the pop genre and pop videos, such as bright colours, connoting positivity.  In the moodboard, it was my intention to make it clear what sort of clothing the artist would wear as well as how this would fit in with the performance (or more specifically how this would look on camera, hence the images of audio and lighting gear which I intend to accompany the artist)























The look that I formulated was almost an amalgamation of the various pop artists that I looked at for inspiration, as well as a few others, such as Schoolboy Q, Jaden Smith and Big Sean.  With all of this, I moved forward to build up the personality of the artist persona, looking at their values, ideologies and personality as somebody now in the public eye.  Additionally I made some additions to some of the visuals, in regards to the smaller details such as makeup and jewellery:

Overall, this task has been vital to the project, as now I have constructed a persona, which is the core component to the music video and the other material.  Now it is essential that I utilise what I have created, by crafting a performance bed, website and additional material that is moulded around this personality.

No comments:

Post a Comment